The Edit Blog Love Sponsor Thrift Image Map

2014-03-18

Salvage

fix4
fix6
fix2
fix3
fix5
Skirt? Vintage, rescued off a dress (even better skirt on this dress on Etsy) Sweater? BCBG (worn backwards) Sports bra? Old Navy (here on sale) Shoes? Nine West Clutch and necklace? Vintage 
Fabulous mural? Wall of The Refinerie

This skirt, like the bustier from the last post, is a rescue from one of my vintage buys. But instead of being a crazy 80's piece with potential buried under cheap taffetta, it was a great 50's dress with its potential ruined by damage to the taffeta. 
That's just the worst, when you find a beautiful vintage piece and you get so excited until you notice the damage... Ancient moth holes, old perspiration marks, wine stains; so many decades passed by with so many chances for something to happen to the piece. I guess when I think about it, it actually blows my mind when clothing has made it 50-80 years unscathed. If I could turn back time, I would go back and tell the ladies to stay away from tipsy Aunt Ethel and her spilley drink and while we are at it, stay off the dance floor as well. Don't go sweating in my future stock ladies...

This two tone dress did not make it through the years unscathed. And from a fiscal standpoint, it's obviously disappointing because I can't sell it and I guess that's supposed to be the point of this whole venture... or something? But it's also just disappointing because it's not like new stock, where I can replace it. I saved the skirt off this dress but there are also pieces that are completely (and I mean completely) unsalvageable. I need to get rid of them because I can't keep unsellable vintage taking up space in my house but yeah, I'm a sucker and it makes me sad to get rid of something that could have been so special.
The top had quite a few bigger holes in it and could not be salvaged. The skirt had a few tiny holes too and while I didn't feel comfortable selling that, I'm glad it fit me and I could ignore the holes because that cording detail (look at the workmanship in the pic below...) needed to be saved. So I had the dress turned into a skirt and just hoped no one would notice the pinholes. 
Which probably no one would have noticed if I hadn't just told you all that my skirt has holes...;) 
  

fix1

8 comments :

Gwen said...

You know, I think it's really cool that you saw the potential in that damaged dress, and turned it into a skirt. The skirt looks beautiful on you, so it's not like you'd *want* to sell it even if you *could*, right? ;)

Unknown said...

I love this skirt! Such a fun color to add to any outfit!

-Ashley
www.ashleykiraand.blogspot.com

Sue @ A Colourful Canvas said...

Again, another brilliant save Yen! Simply beautiful!

Rebecca Jane said...

Definitely worth saving! I too am often amazed at how well so many gorgeous vintage pieces stand the test of time. Some better than others, but this skirt was definitely worth the salvage operation. Looks fabulous onyou!

Nina said...

That skirt is such a beautiful color. Happy to hear how you salvaged it...it's like a happy-ever-after animal rescue story. ;D

DressUpNotDown said...

I'm catching up after being away for a couple weeks. Wow, I gasped out loud over the Victor Costa coat! And the Red Sequin top in your Nautical Collection is begging me to buy it. Really begging and pleading!!!

This outfit is just so pretty. My favorite shot is the one from the back showing your clever layering to make an oh so sexy look.

My other favorite shot is the close up showing the piping detail. It's enough to make anyone drool, but as a sewist I'm just blown away.

www.dressupnotdown.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Oh my word, that skirt is just so adorable! I love the color and the shape on you!

xoxo,
Laura
http://lauraisthriftingthroughlife.blogspot.com/

Red said...

I love that you saved that beautiful skirt with all its lovely workmanship and history. It looks amazing on you! That color! I've worn vintage with pinholes and nobody ever noticed. :-)