The Edit Blog Love Sponsor Thrift Image Map

2012-02-20

Castle Facts

door4
door2
door6
door1
door5
door7

Sweater? Local resale store Jeans? Seven for all Mankind, Winners (here) Boots? Charles David, thrifted 
Belt? Roots, thrifted Necklace? Thrifted Shirt? C&C, Winners (here)

This is likely the most famous door in Hamilton. I can't tell you the amount of family pictures that local photographers have set up in front of this door... I get it. It's a pretty great door.
The door is part of Dundurn Castle, incidentally one of my favourite places to take pictures (here, here and here). It's usually quiet after hours and there are so many interesting spots to explore. The last time I actually went inside Dundurn Castle I was 8... I don't remember much from that school trip, but I do recall asking the tour guide a completely off-topic question about Russian Roulette... I was being a brat, just to show off my extensive Grade 3 smarts. Weird that I remember that...
A few weeks ago I figured it was time I to go take a tour again. This way I know what room I am peaking into when we take pictures (now I know that I am standing outside the formal dining room). I went with my dad and because it was the slow season, we got a private tour. The most interesting thing we learned during the tour is that 3 beers were included as part of the servants' daily wages. I think this is the place where I need to make a lame attempt at a joke about Matt wanting to work there... We also learned that the men had smoking jackets and a smoking room that they frequented in order to keep the tobacco smell from infiltrating the whole house. Sadly, this smoking room was directly below the sick room. The room where the lady of the house lay dying of Tuberculosis. Ironic...
I didn't learn anything about Russian Roulette though. I also didn't ask any obnoxious questions about it either... I'm growing up.

14 comments :

Secondhand Stella said...

When I went on a field trip to Plimoth Plantation (and where I ended up working last year), I asked if the Pilgrims were able to eat salad on the Mayflower. I was very concerned when I was told no, they did not have salad. Hahahahaha.

Your hair is getting so long!

Love your necklace :)

Alyssa said...

That necklace is absolutely beautiful! I wouldn't think to pair it with that textured sweater, but it is fab on you :)

emily.mcintyre said...

I truly love your sweater! It looks like wearing a hug.

Awesome pictures; enjoyed the castle narrative as well!

Unknown said...

Love the necklace so very much! I have something sort of similar.

Laura
http://lauraisthriftingthroughlife.blogspot.com/

Natasha Fatah said...

Yen, you're lovely sweater which looks great on you, reminded me of a recent post and a misadventure while thrifting a DVF dress - you have to read that post, I think you'll get a kick out of it. It's here: http://natashafatah.blogspot.com/2012/02/bulk-barn-and-peer-pressure.html

xoxo
www.natashafatah.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Wow that sweater is really something, love the texture and it looks so warm! The door makes a great location!

Cess O. <3 The Outfit Diaries

Unknown said...

I love the texture of that coat!! And the necklace and accessories are beautiful! XOXO, www.NatalyasCloset.com

Unknown said...

gorgeous and Love the necklace!

Cassi said...

You have a castle backdrop, a mohair sweater, and a fab statement necklace. I'm jealous.

Lindsey Dixon said...

It is a pretty fantastic door. Now I want to come a take a tour just to hear about the lady and her tuberculosis!

XOXO, Lindsey

Asher said...

Absolutely everything about this look is totally fabulous!!!

Bethy said...

This outfit has a bit of a "Game of Thrones" chic to it. That's a compliment, by the way. And a nerdy one, at that. Love the boots. :)

SBroussard said...

forget the door, that sweater is fab!!! LOL

Sara said...

shut up you did not thrift those boots. so jealous! as a photographer, i love that door too haha :)



http://saras-style-snapshot.blogspot.com