The Edit Blog Love Sponsor Thrift Image Map

2011-09-08

A Perfect Day

wedding6


Dress? Bruuns Bazaar (found in Holland) Shoes? DvF, StyleSense Clutch? Thrifted Brooch? Permanently borrowed from my parents

The biggest reason we went to Holland was for my brother Albert's wedding. I had big plans to wear this to the wedding. Until I actually took a good look at the invitation and saw that while the ceremony and standing reception were in an old church and the surrounding grounds (above), the dinner was on a beach. And a dramatic, vintage Victor Costa dress doesn't mix well with sand and salt water.

wedding5wedding1wedding2wedding3wedding4

The wedding was a fantastic party! It's always special to be somewhere with my whole family (it's been two years now) and to savour those moments. Beyond that, the weather was absolutely perfect as well. Considering that the whole summer in Holland has been cold, rainy and miserable, this day of complete sunshine was almost a miracle. It's funny, throughout all the stresses of wedding planning, my sister-in-law never seemed to spend much time worrying about the weather. Huddled under an umbrella and bundled in sweaters, she would confidently tell me that the Saturday of the wedding was going to be 'so beautiful and warm'. There was stress over music choices. There was stress over tie knot options. I even remember stress over how my brother should stand at the front of the church (arms behind or at the side... yeah, that happened...) but there was hardly any stress over the weather.

And my sister-in-law was right. The day was beautiful. We witnessed them exchanging vows, enjoyed champagne and cupcakes on the grounds of the old church and then headed through the dunes for an casual BBQ in a beach pavilion. When the sun set, we danced and danced and danced. Well, except for that brief interruption when my little brother decided to do push-ups on the dance floor and everyone rallied to support his... efforts. Yeah. It was that good of a party.

29 comments :

Ariel Tyler Henley said...

I LOVE your dress!

Faith said...

Wow that dress is fantastic! Love the color especially.

Anonymous said...

I'd say the sunshine was a good sign! And your dress is perfect for a beach reception.

Amanda @ Life with A.Co said...

I'm drooling over those shoes, J!!! Wow. And what a great dress.

So fantastic to have a beautiful, sunny day - someone was looking out :)

Frannie Pantz said...

Aw! Sounds like so much fun! I'm glad your brother and new sister had a great wedding. You look A-MAZING in this dress and what pretty photos.

BTW a little triva info for you. This morning my sister texted me and told me it's JTT's 30th birthday. I had a mini-celebration for him. As I'm sure you would too.

Jenn said...

Your dress is perfect for what you described. I love what you did with the brooch!

Jenn
Secondhand Stylist Thrifted - Three Ways

Jasmine said...

very cute dress! it works so well for a beach wedding! the back and brooch is super great.


FIKS*D

.Candy. said...

that's a stunning dress! especially with the brooch at the back! ;)

http://intoxicatedchameleon.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Great heels!!

Terri said...

Those shoes are awesome, and I love what you did with the broach. I'm so glad your brother had a perfect-weather wedding!

stylishsass.blogspot.com

myedit said...

Frannie Pantz- I know! I saw JTT on...ahem...Perez Hilton... Still so cute and so short!

Secondhand Stella said...

I am glad the wedding was a blast!

Love how you pinned the back of the dress. Might be stealing this idea...

Genny said...

Such a beautiful dress ... and a lovely post about your brothers special day! :)

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a beautiful wedding! And speaking of beautiful that dress is, the cut out back is so chic, and the colors and print totally adorable! The jewel piece is the perfect elegant touch! Picture of you in the water is breath taking!

Cess O. <3 The Outfit Diaries

Linda said...

First of all..."we"? I bet Matt didn't dance. Secondly since when is there dancing at a Dutch wedding? thirdly...can we see pics of the bride? Scoff! You are soo selfish :).
also...I love your dress.
Did he stand with hands at side or behind the back?

Unknown said...

How beautiful! Did you add the brooch to the back yourself? And I love your hair!

Megan said...

Love the way you did your hair, and the back of that dress is amazing!! It looks so unique and beautiful. Glad you had a good time :) Sounds like fun.

Unknown said...

I love this dress so much..the back detail is fantastic!!

Natasha ~ Required2BeInspired

Courtney said...

You are such a natural beauty. I love that pictures where your toes are in the water and covered in sand... Ah! My heart! How I'd love to be there!

Courtney
I Can Be Many Things

Nadine said...

I DO love that dress, and I think you chose well, but if you're not going to wear a designer vintage dress on the beach . . I mean, where else does it belong? Every single thing I own has passed the 'would I wear it to the beach?' test. (I'm from New Zealand. A tiny weeny couple of islands. Lots of beaches.)

Jess said...

Such a beautiful dress! I love the back!

Rin said...

Wow, this dress is amazing!!! The colors and pattern are gorgeous, as is the actual fit and structure of the dress. I'm in love.

Colleen said...

Holy moly, I have to say, you are feeding my recent thrifting addiction! So glad I found your blog, I wanna wrap a big bow on it!

sartoriography said...

Any time there's a display of manly prowess via push-ups, you know a party is going to be good. Oh, and when some hottie rocks the perfect dress, as you've done. :) Love the brooch on the back of the dress and the beautiful beach. Looks like the perfect outfit for such a gorgeous day!!

Librarian Tells All said...

Thank you. From now on, I will not second-guess myself when I wear black shoes and bag with an outfit devoid of black. You look beautiful. Hi, I'm Jen. And from now on, I'm following. :)

Please may I? said...

Wow what a beautiful idea for a wedding.

You look stunning too.

X x

Anonymous said...

I am with Jen on the black shoes/bag thing! I've thought about wearing something similar before and chickened out, but you prove that it can look AWESOME! Also...that brooch! Ahhhh, love it!

C said...

You look absolutely beautiful, Yen, and the wedding sounds gorgeous. Congratulations to your brother and his wife!

Anonymous said...

That dress is fabulous on you, I just love the detail at the back!!

Cakes
http://www.cakesandshakes.wordpress.com