The Edit Blog Love Sponsor Thrift Image Map

2010-08-22

On Dressing and Spelling

blazer3


Let's not be unkind to those who make spelling mistakes... I'm just lucky to have a Mama and 4 brothers who will email me if I wright something wrong.

blazer6

blazer2

blazer1

blazer4


Dress? Klazon, thrifted
Blazer? Braemar, thrifted
Belt? Thrifted
Clutch? Thrifted
Shoes? Steve Madden, DSW

A Disclaimer: I may be wearing my favourite fall blazer (seen here, here and here) but this doesn't mean I am ready to let go of summer just yet. Because I was so busy, I just feel like summer flew by and I didn't get to enjoy it. And while I love cool nights and cosy layers, I am not finished with patios, beaches, dresses and bare legs.

This dress is a recent thrift score. I love the bright print and crazy amounts of fabric hidden within the skirt but the best part is that the tag said the silk dress is machine washable. Which is great because it solves the problem of what to do when you find a silk dress at the thrift store. The choices are to get it dry cleaned, (which will likely cost much more than you paid for the dress), risk hand washing it, or just grin and wear it... The fact that this dress is machine washable really saved me time by making the decision for me. Time that I used to ponder the meaning of life while sipping a vintage bourbon.

The skirt of this dress reminds me of my first year of University. In our design/pattern making/construction class, one of the first things we learned was how to make a pattern for a godet. It was crazy that with a few lines we had ourselves a godet. All I wanted to do was godet up my life; godets in my collars, godets in my sleeves, pants with godets down the side... Then we actually sewed our first godet insert and I was over the godet like I was over any of the Carter boys. They are a huge pain in the a$$ to sew (the godets, not Nick or Aaron) because the top corner is such a weak spot and it starts to fray and then it'll rip. I'm sure the godet has broken the spirit of many young fashion design students in their first year... Now I know the the solution, why sew it when you can thrift it?

34 comments :

Leigh said...

My goodness! What amazing thrift finds, especially that dress! I love to see 100% (or nearly) thrifted outfits. Really shows people that you don't need a lot of money to dress well.

Sally said...

I adore the bright colors of this dress paired with black!

Sally
http://ursaminor-sally.blogspot.com/

Hannah | The Outfit Repeater said...

This is a lovely look. That dress is quite a great thrift store find!

Lovers, Saints & Sailors said...

How is it that it is already winter here, and has been for ages - but seeing you transitioning to autumn makes me want it to be winter all over again?!

Does that sentence even make sense?

Emma at Daily Clothes Fix said...

I love the floral with the black. That dress looks wonderful on you. And that sign is great - how can they have got one word so wrong?

Destined For Now said...

I love the blatant sign in your pictures...definitely makes the girly dress seem more hardcore.

Alessandra said...

so funny. love the outfit and the shoes are to die for.

Nadine said...

Godet-ing up your life! Collars! Pants! Haha!

It's hard to spell correctly when the word is THAT BIG - you can't really see the whole word at once . .

Did the bourbon-assisted pondering lead anywhere?

Raquelita said...

Oh, man! I love that dress and that blazer! May godets and Backstreet Boys magically be thrifted!

Anonymous said...

I love your outfits! Where do you take most of your photos....looks like a really bad part of town?

Looks and Books said...

Love the dress! You're a thrifting inspiration.

anne charlotte said...

haha the carter boys!

that dress is amazing.

Anonymous said...

I am DROOLING over that dress, lady.

Kara said...

can't believe you thrifted this beauty!! so lovely! :)

xo

Keira Lennox said...

Gor--geous! And it still feels really summery, even with the blazer! Awesome find.

And as for dry cleaning, I've ignored the labels and washed many a silk item into ruin, so I started buying the at-home dry cleaning kit that you throw in the dryer, and they totally work (not so much for stain removal, but definitely for refreshening).

cocojones said...

love the bright dress with the black jacket and shoes (I'm totally living in my blazer right now, but this is one of the worst Augusts I can remember in the UK in ages...).
I also now know what a godet is - thanks!!

Anonymous said...

Sweeeeet score. I really like the shape of that dress. Speaking of spelling mistakes, It's my pet peeve but I still am impatient and write things wrong from time to time. My ex who I still talk to (via facebook... not sure if that actually counts as still talking but whatever) wrote me (FB msg) and said that the blog was looking good but that I should use spell check once in a while. I replied and said whatttttttttttt! what did i spell wrong... when he told me it ended up being something spell check wouldn't even catch (2 words that sound the same but mean something completely different that I stupidly wrote the wrong one) and he told me that people wont take me seriously with spelling mistakes I said THANKSSSSSSSSSSSSSS but spell check would not even have realized I fucked up. Then I thought hey thanks ass face, that's kinda rude. But I moved on and he didnt reply to MY message filled with sarcasm.
So what's the TRESSSSPASSING number for?

Jodi said...

The sign is too funny. I LOVE the outfit!!!

rlutz said...

great dress...love how you paired it with the studded belt and those great heels!!

C said...

Whhat a funn dresss! ;)

Any coincidence that my word verification has a ridiculous number of consonants all in a row??

KT said...

Wow. The colors on that dress are so fun and bold. I'm jealous. And it works so well with the blazer. Love the look. - Katy

Jenni King said...

that dress is an awesome thrift store find. I love all the colors and the shape of the dress.

20 YORK STREET said...

Though the cool winds disagree, I refuse to dress for Fall just yet. It's only August!

Nicki said...

Love your dress! The pattern and colours are super cute... And speaking of the Carters, I went to a BSB concert a couple of nights ago, and let me tell you, that Nick Carter is still a babe ;) haha.

Meg said...

What a pretty dress!

Tieka, Selective Potential said...

Oh I love the print on that dress! So pretty! I can spot things spelled wrong a million miles away - I swear! Anything in a book that is spelled wrong, I notice right away! It was the first thing I noticed in that first photo - haha! That's too funny. Brett always picks on me when I spell something wrong in the blog and is the first to let me know ;)

i'm B. said...

i'm going to steal a word from MFAMB:

amazeballs.
this outfit is amazeballs.
you look amazeballs.
your hair is amazeballs. amazeballs.

(my sister always e-mails me when i spell something wrong, too. sometimes even when she tells me the exact sentence it still takes me ten minutes to find it. it's like i get hypnotized by my own writing. which, as a disclaimer, is NOT amazeballs.)

(do you read MFAMB? she's freaking hilarious. myfavoriteandmybest.com how many comments do you get that shamelessly promote someone ELSE's blog? not many, i'll bet.)

Laura said...

Ek at the spelling, spelling mistakes bug me so much! Gorgeous outfit, I love the vibrant colours :)

L x
Half Dressed

April said...

gorgeoussssssss dresss! i can't believe it's silk AND machine washable AND you found it at a thrift store...total GOLD right there. and hahahah to the spelling...i can't stand misspelled words in public places

Anonymous said...

I adore that dress. I love it even more under that chic blazer, with that edgy belt, and those amazing shoes. Such a fantastic look, jentine!

Secondhand Stella said...

LOVE the dress!!!!!!!!!!! I want.

Morgan//Nuts and Bows said...

Super cute! Love the combo of the feminine dress and the blazer!!

~Morgan

Come check out my Fashion Link Party Weekend Wear every Wednesday!!!
Meet Virginia!!
Meet Virginia!!!

Leyley said...

I totally love this dress!! ugh! Ive gotta own it! :0)

Ashley via www.Ashleystylz.com

Anonymous said...

loooove those colours!