The Edit Blog Love Sponsor Thrift Image Map

2009-12-17

An Army of Bridesmaids

K&A__100

If I was smart, I would make the same bridesmaids dress for every member of a wedding party. But I'm not smart, so when the bride said that all she wanted brown dresses with a touch of soft green, I was all gung-ho to make ever dress unique. In general I firmly stand behind having different dresses for the girls in your wedding party...us girls come in all shapes, sizes(pregnant too!), ages and tastes and it's nice to accommodate that. But it's a lot more work... I always feel like I learn so much making a custom dress and if I were to make 7 of those dresses, I would be able to sew the last one in my sleep. But that's the nature of the beast in custom wear, sure you do a muslin and try out your fabrics, but you never know the end result until you are working on the actual dress. So, in essence, you make and fix all your mistakes on the same dress... a steep learning curve.
I'm glad I'm blogging about this... if this was simply a portfolio site, I'd have to sugar coat everything and say the bride was fantastic (she was...), the girls were really sweet and open to ideas (they were) and I was happy with the final result (I was, though it wasn't until I saw this picture that I realized how neat the dresses looked together). But the fabric was a b*tch; cut one way (I forget what way, parallel or perpendicular to the grain?) it pouffed instead of draped and it was mighty slippery. The one skirt I re-did 3 times, once I was unhappy, then she was unhappy and then I think we finally got it right. Of course I feel awful when something doesn't go right but you just have to keep trying and learning (and how's that for your mantra of the day?). Like I said though, I do like how they all came out, every dress worked as a cohesive group but yet each dress had very individual design elements.

K&A__237
A cute little pintuck is revealed through the 'slashed' bodice of this sweetheart strapless dress.

K&A elisha
One shoulder detailing... I put handmade flowers of fabric and tulle along the back of the one shoulder. I know I have a much better picture of it but I can't find the JPEG, boo... I like this picture anyways because it's of my 'sister' (no relation in blood, just in our hearts...)....

20 comments :

Moni said...

Those dresses are absolutely beautiful! I love the individual design elements of each one. I've seen some custom dresses that look custom (in a bad way), but these just look like unique, well-made dresses that you you get at any high end store.

Sidewalk Chic said...

Wow, all of these dresses are gorgeous! You are really talented and it shows in those details. I love that shoulder fabric.
I completely agree about different dresses for bridesmaids. It's not fair to ask several women to wear the same kind of dress and fabric -- may not be flattering on all.
I just gave my bridemaids a color scheme and a choice of floral or solid and let them choose whatever. And it came out fine and they looked beautiful because they were wearing dresses that flattered.
Lovely post -- I hope you continue to show your work! -JoAnn, Sidewalk Chalk

K said...

They all look so amazing! I think you did a wonderful job and came up with some great ideas to make them each unique.

Anonymous said...

OMG, you made those?! Wow, so gorgeous!!! (And I am not just saying that) If I ever get married, can I hire you to make my dresses.. I will even come to Canada to pick them up? :)

xoxo
Amy

http://thebargainhunterextraordinaire.blogspot.com

Chelsea said...

oh wow! those details are just amazing :) I love the pleating in the first, and I'm totally a sucker for flowery bits! I am loving your sharing of all of these creations... I can hardly believe one human could do all that!

Secondhand Stella said...

So pretty! I love mismatched bridesmaids dresses!

Anonymous said...

Absolutely gorgeous!!! What a great picture to show them all off - each is so lovely - great job!! I can't even imagine trying to get all that done. Props to you!

Linda said...

What?!? Your pregnant! Oh my god so excited! I'm going to be an aunt!
HA! I love starting and spreading rumors..
These dresses reminds me of the ones I did for Carla's wedding....shudder!

jenloveskev said...

I am totally blown away- these dresses are amazing!! I love each detail!!!
-jenloveskev

AsianCajuns said...

You are so freakin' talented, Ms. J! Eesh- you and Linda together a super-dynamic duo.

What Would a Nerd Wear said...

those dresses are beautiful! i can't believe you made them! those are some skillz!

Kyla said...

That is an awesome looking bridal party! ou are muy talented!

Dirty Hair Halo said...

Wow, good job! That's a lot of work. Talk about a 'commitment'. Get it?

XO

www.SeekingDirtyHairHalo.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Wow!!! gorgeous dresses. love how each dress design suits their body types. love the little details that make the dresses so different.
you worked magic with those hands:-)

Academichic said...

Sooooooo beautiful! I can only echo what everyone else said and say that you are so talented and that these all look gorgeous! I love them all, they are each so pretty and that was one lucky wedding party, my dear, to get those unique and individual gowns from you!

Love this feature! Thanks for sharing your work with us! :) S.

Julia said...

Wow, you are certainly talented! Really beautiful, and the colors are perfect, too. A lovely ensemble look!

xo

Rebecca, A Clothes Horse said...

They're all so sweet! I love that they're matching without being identical.

E said...

That is such a cool idea! I love how it looks in the photos!

melissa rose said...

im loving that pintuck detail! do you have individual shots of all the dresses? i'd love to see them up close! you've got mad skillz my friend, and as a self-taught seamstress i've got crazy respect for this!

Unknown said...

www11.17



nike tn
red bottom shoes
ugg boots
prada handbags
canada goose outlet
ugg outlet boots
kate spade outlet

coach outlet
adidas clothing